In 1918, Kimes Funeral Home opened its doors to serve the public. The facility was located in Belleville, West Virginia and was owned and operated by Herschel Kimes Sr. and Oma Smith Kimes.
In 1931, a decision was made to relocate the funeral home to Pike Street in South Parkersburg, West Virginia. Kimes Funeral Home operated from the Pike Street location for seven years until it was moved to its current location, 521 Fifth Street. This move took place on February 4th, the birthday of Mr. Kimes, Sr.
Mr. and Mrs. Kimes retired in 1966 after 48 years of service to the families of Wood and Jackson counties and surrounding areas. After their retirement, the funeral establishment went under the supervision of Herschel Kimes, Jr. and Glen E. Kimes (sons of Mr. & Mrs. Kimes Sr.). The two sons operated together until the retirement of Herschel Jr. in 1980. Since his retirement, he has been active as the owner of Skate Country in South Parkersburg. Glen E. Kimes continued to operate the Fifth Street location with the assistance of two of his sons, David A. Kimes and Larry G. Kimes.
In 1987, the Ogdin Funeral Home located at 1640 St. Mary's Avenue, Parkersburg, West Virginia became part of the Kimes Family of funeral service. The facility, which had been operated by Oran Ogdin and Howard Hammett, was acquired shortly after the death of Mr. Ogdin.
In 1990, David A. Kimes and Larry G. Kimes purchased all of the Kimes family funeral properties from their father, Glen E. Kimes who decided to semi-retire. Glen is still active in the family business on a limited basis.
Since the beginning in 1918, the Kimes family of funeral service has striven to meet the needs of the families they serve, by the purchase of additional properties for growth or expansion of the simpler things to make a family's loss more bearable.
From 1966, the Fifth Street location has underwent numerous remodeling projects and additions to stay abreast with changing times and to better meet the needs of the families.
In May 1999, the 100 year old structure that housed the Kimes Funeral Home was demolished. A ground breaking ceremony was held on July 13, 1999 at the same location to commemorate the building of the new $1.2 million facility. On June 12, 2000, after eleven months of construction, the new Kimes Funeral Home proudly opened its doors to compassionately serve families during their time of loss.
It was at this time that the Kimes Funeral Home and Ogdin-Kimes Funeral Home were combined together in the new facility.
In May of 2004, a new
corporation named Kimes Family Services was formed and the name of the
establishment was changed to Kimes Funeral Home & Cremation Services to
encompass the increasing public interest in cremation. The current owners
of the company are David A. Kimes, Kathy L. Kimes-Black and David Bradley Kimes.